Open Listings Homebuying Guide

Buying a home is easy when you understand each step of the process. We're compiling everything you need to know and defining all the confusing terminology to put you in control.

Search results for "{{ search.query }}"

No results found for "{{search.query}}". 
View All Results

Appraisal Contingency

An appraisal contingency is a clause that can be used by the buyer to cancel or renegotiate a purchase contract if a property appraises for less than the fair market value.

This buyer protection is a great bargaining chip and can provide peace of mind for homebuyers during the appraisal process. Think of it as a “Get Out Of Jail Free” card to be used by the buyer to cancel the deal if the appraised value comes in at less than the agreed upon purchase price of the property.

Why is an appraisal contingency is important to you?

The appraisal contingency is a useful tool in the buyer’s arsenal to make sure she gets her money’s worth. Remember that lenders will usually base their loan amount on a percentage of the property’s appraised value, so this contingency can be helpful in protecting the buyer from losing any money in the event that the home is appraised for less than the offer amount.

In our example, Buyer A is plunking down a 20 percent down payment on her dream home, and has found a lender to finance the remaining 80 percent of the value of the property, or $640,000. When the disappointing appraisal comes back at $785,000, the lender will still supply 80 percent, but 80 percent of the appraised value. Buyer A ends up with a loan of only $628,000 instead of $640,000.

Why can’t they appraise the value of the home properly the first time? Appraisals are based on several factors, including a thorough evaluation of the property and market trends in your area, and they can fluctuate.

What happens when the appraised value is below offer price?
For this example, Buyer A is committed to purchasing a $800,000 home. The $800,000 contract price is contingent upon the property being appraised at that amount. If an appraisal values the home at only $785,000, Buyer A can use her appraisal contingency option to veto the whole transaction – with no penalty or forfeiture of her earnest money deposit.

In the case of Buyer A, whose appraisal came up $15,000 short of the half-million dollar contract value, someone must make up the difference. In the good old days, the seller might chip in the $15,000 or reduce the price of the property accordingly, if only to facilitate the sale. Nowadays, it is unlikely the seller will make up the shortfall, especially if he has multiple offers and a back-up offer to rely on. It is not uncommon for a seller to demand proof that a buyer has not only enough money available to cover the down payment and closing costs, but also some extra funds in case the appraisal comes in lower than expected.

It is imperative that the appraisal gets ordered immediately upon acceptance to avoid delays. A good rule of thumb is about 14 days, but it can vary from 5 to 21 days. Always consult your lender before shortening the appraisal contingency period.

Contingency Appraisal: To waive or not to waive

After 2012, most real estate markets became sellers’ markets, with sellers receiving multiple offers from which to pick and choose. Offers from buyers who had waived the appraisal contingency were shuffled to the top of the pile. Waiving the appraisal contingency showed sellers that a buyer was serious, and committed to buying the property, no matter what. Sellers love commitment!

In today’s competitive market, however, the majority of offers have this contingency waived, so any offer from a buyer without an appraisal contingency waiver can stick out like a sore thumb.

Whether to waive your appraisal contingency is a personal choice dependent on many factors and variables. If you have your heart set on a particular house you cannot live without, then you can increase your chances by waiving it. It could be helpful for you to discuss your appraisal contingency option with your bank or lender. The most important thing is that you understand what it means and how it affects your purchase.

Appraisal Contingency

An appraisal contingency is a clause that can be used by the buyer to cancel or renegotiate a purchase contract if a property appraises for less than the fair market value.